Together with Fraunhofer ISI and the Centre for Economic Research (ZEW), Technopolis Group has successfully completed a horizontal evaluation of the support programmes funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Federal Ministry of Economy and Energy (now: Economy and Climate) targeting innovative start-ups, including research spin-offs.
The evaluation looked at the impact, synergies and complementarities of the support schemes targeting start-ups, scientist-entrepreneurs, and research institutions. The study also considers the framework conditions for start-ups in Germany, and compares these to the support landscape in Austria, France, Israel and Sweden. Based on the analysis, the report includes recommendations for the two ministries on how to further strengthen the support programme portfolio and framework conditions for innovative start-ups in Germany.
Technopolis Group was responsible for the following work in this evaluation:
- Mapping of support schemes for recently established start-ups
- Interview programme with entrepreneurs supported by one or several of the support schemes in question
- International benchmarking
- Review of the literature on barriers and enabling factors in the start-up process
- Joint development of conclusions and recommendations with Fraunhofer ISI and ZEW
Read the full report in German here.