Great news! The French Development Agency (AFD) has published a summary of our evaluation of 8 microfinance projects in Tunisia.
These projects involved 4 microfinance institutions over the period 2013-2018. To learn more, you can read the summary here.
The evaluation showed that thanks to AFD’s intervention, the supported institutions improved their social and financial performance. More broadly, it contributed to the development of Tunisian microfinance sector.
We also identified that barriers to the financial inclusion of the population in Tunisia remain. These include:
- The regulatory framework still needs to evolve to ensure greater financial inclusion of the population.
- Refinancing remains a major constraint for Microfinance Institutions’ development.
- Women’s financial inclusion remains weak.
Our recommendations to the AFD are the following:
- Support the legislative and regulatory changes needed to strengthen the microfinance sector.
- Provide technical assistance to microfinance institutions in areas such as digital transformation
- Strengthen, monitor and evaluate the social and environmental performance of microfinance institutions’ operations.
Team: Anne-Gaëlle Muths, Cristina Wallez-Cuevas, Mathieu Boulestreau, Kenza Delclaux, Matthieu Lacave