Temporary / Full-time
Deadline for applications: 17 July 2023
Leading international research and consultancy firm Technopolis Group is looking for enthusiastic
Senior policy consultants
with knowledge of and experience with
Green transitions, green economy and/or circular economy
In this varied position, you will be given the freedom to work on interesting policy and strategy issues for our (semi)public clients in the Netherlands and abroad. This gives you the opportunity to contribute to solutions for the societal challenges that our clients face. You are responsible for leading, implementing and acquiring research and advisory projects in your field of interest within one or more of our thematic domains. You will do this together with our enthusiastic team of 40 consultants in Amsterdam, often in collaboration with colleagues from our foreign offices. We offer you the opportunity to develop yourself and grow in your role.
Technopolis B. V. in Amsterdam is the Dutch office of Technopolis Group, an international company with more than 220 consultants in 12 offices across Europe, Africa and Latin America. We are an independent and specialised consultancy owned by our employees.
The work we do ranges from supporting policy preparation and strategy development to policy evaluation and impact assessment. Assignments also include coordination of (international) networks and communication of results to experts and a wider audience. On our website you will find various projects that we have carried out successfully.
Our team in Amsterdam consists of about 40 colleagues from different backgrounds and ages. We share a common passion to contribute to solving societal problems and strengthening the economy by improving policy design and implementation. Our expertise is broad and includes various qualitative and quantitative research methods. Thematically, besides our general focus on science, technology and innovation, we have experience in the areas of green economy, life sciences & health, digital transformation, higher education, international cooperation, entrepreneurship and regional policy. We never settle for ready-made solutions, but work with our clients to arrive at an approach that suits their needs.
About the job
As senior policy consultant, you will be one of our most experienced colleagues in a specific domain. This position this domain will be green transitions, a policy field that is strongly linked to developments in sustainability, energy, eco-innovation and the green and circular economy. You carry the title Senior Consultant.
In this position, you will provide clients with knowledge, insight and factual information to answer their complex policy questions. To do so, you translate their questions into a practical approach in which research, based on qualitative and quantitative research methods, and strategic support are central. You know how to translate insights into clear Dutch or English reports for our clients and stakeholders. Projects could, for example, be related to monitoring and evaluation of policies, programmes and institutions or to the preparation of strategic analysis and policy support studies. Clients include Dutch and Flemish governments and regions, various DG’s of the European Commission (DG RTD, DG ENER, DG MARE), CINEA and UNIDO.
You are a consultant who, as an experienced professional, is able to advise our clients based on both research and experience. You also know how to acquire new assignments. You do this in the role of project leader, proposal leader, thematic expert or methodological expert – depending on which role suits you best in a project. Every project has a different question, client, size, duration and complexity. That variety keeps your work interesting. You always work together with an (international) team of consultants. You do this hybrid: partly from home, partly from the office and sometimes at the client’s premises.
Finally, you contribute with your strategic insight to knowledge sharing and strategy development of Technopolis Group and share your knowledge and experience with less experienced colleagues in our team.
Some examples of projects that you could work on:
- Investigating energy efficiency policies for SMEs in the UK and the Netherlands (ITRI);
- Mapping research in the Flemish bioeconomy (EWI);
- Developing a circular industrial roadmap for the European Commission (DG RTD);
- Supporting the acceleration and scale-up of the algae industry in Europe (CINEA);
- Evaluation of EU R&I programmes for addressing Global Challenges and Industrial Competitiveness with a focus on the green transition (DG RTD);
- Developing a business case for a Dutch regional field lab on climate adaptation.
- You are a social, customer-oriented and critical professional with at least 5 years of work experience in the field of green transitions, sustainability, energy, eco-innovation and/or the green and circular economy.
- You take initiative and enjoy working in a dynamic, international environment with enthusiastic people from diverse backgrounds.
- You have an academic level of working and thinking and are familiar with research/advice for policy and/or strategy.
- You see it as a challenge to connect your knowledge and experience in the field of green transitions, sustainability, energy, eco-innovation and/or the green and circular economy to other policy areas such as science, technology, innovation, entrepreneurship, higher education or health.
- You have experience working with (internal or external) clients in the (semi)public sector.
- You have demonstrable experience in leading projects and (project) teams. Experience in leading international projects is a plus.
- You have relationships within relevant networks and a good overview of relevant (inter)national developments in your field.
- You have excellent communication skills (oral and written), in both Dutch and English.
- You are willing to travel, where necessary, at home and abroad for work.
What we offer
- An open and collegial working atmosphere within our Amsterdam office, embedded in an international organisation with frequent contact between foreign offices.
- An appointment of maximum 40 hours and minimum 28 hours per week, initially for one year. With good performance and good development of the company, this will be converted into a permanent position.
- A warm and personal working environment where inclusion, equality and respect for all are key values.
- The opportunity to lead interesting projects in a dynamic and international working field.
- The opportunity to expand your own field and develop new propositions.
- A competitive salary, depending on experience. The salary also has an annual bonus component, the amount of which depends on personal performance and company results.
- A total of 30 holidays for a 40-hour-a-week appointment.
- A flexible working environment with extensive remote working opportunities: we work hybrid with a minimum of 2 days’ office presence per week.
- Participation in Technopolis’ pension provision and disability insurance.
- Access to a laptop, mobile phone with subscription and, if living outside Amsterdam, a train ticket for commuting (first class).
For more information, please visit our office page or the Green Economy page. Our colleagues will be happy to tell you about what it is like to work at Technopolis Group.
Does our vacancy appeal to you? Then apply now by sending us your cover letter and CV by 17-07-2023.
More about this office
About Technopolis Group
Technopolis Group started as a consultancy firm for the evaluation of science, technology and innovation. While evaluation is still at the core of our company, we have over the years built up the know-how to support decision making on a broad range of topics. Our experts provide strategy and foresight, manage networks and provide project management support for even the most complex projects. We are acquainted with a wide range of quantitative methods and deliver advanced data analytics that is ahead of the curve. We evaluate policies, evaluate their impact and communicate them effectively to experts and the broader public. We never settle for out-of-the-box solutions but work with our clients to find the approach that best fits their needs.
We work with decision-makers in different levels and fields, from international institutions, such as the European Commission, the OECD and multilateral development banks, to regional and local authorities. Our clients include universities and R&D centres, network organisations such as business associations, clusters and incubators as well as governments.
More about working at Technopolis Group