Permanent / Full-time
Deadline for applications: 31 July 2023
Supporting the green and digital transition of cities and regions is a priority growth area for
Technopolis Group. For more than a decade we have been constantly expanding our expertise
in the areas of smart cities, twin transition and local stakeholder mobilisation. We work directly for
policymakers and other public-related stakeholders at various levels: International institutions and
organisations (OECD, UN, etc), European Institutions and bodies (European Commission, European
Parliament, European Investment Bank, Committee of the Regions and Local Authorities, etc)
national and regional ministries and agencies, regional and local governments, but also national
promotional banks or development banks.
We are now looking to recruit a motivated and experienced specialist to join our dynamic and
growing team, as a Principal Consultant with specific expertise on topics related to Smart Cities.
The position is based in Brussels.
Founded in 1989, Technopolis Group is an independent research and consultancy company,
European leader in providing strategic policy advice to public sector institutions at the regional,
national, and international levels.
We have grown steadily over the past 30 years and have and a track record of over 3,500 projects.
Technopolis Group has offices in ten European cities and representative offices in Colombia
(Bogotà) and Ivory Coast (Abidjan). Our team of over 250 consultants brings an educational mix
in a variety of policy, social, environmental science disciplines, and linguistic richness, originating
from 40+countries and covering 30+ languages.
For more information: www.technopolis-group.com
Experience and skills
Applicants suitable for a Principal Consultant position should have a minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience in a consulting environment, city or regional network, think-tank, policymaking organisation or in an applied research or technology organisation in one or more of the following areas:
- Supporting the green and digital transition for cities, regions and communities
- Managing green or digitalisation strategies or roadmaps for local administrations and stakeholders
- Facilitating local ecosystem mobilisation and leading support for stakeholder engagement at local level and/or carrying out matchmaking activities among city stakeholders
- Setting up public private partnerships in support of business growth or in the context of uptake of technologies for cities and regions
- Leading support and advisory services for cities to access funding and financing, notably for sustainable projects in the areas of clean energy, sustainable mobility and ICTs
Applicants should have:
- A general overview of the smart city policy landscape, green and digital transition and technological trends as well as their impacts on cities, regions and communities.
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management, including overseeing project delivery, quality control, client orientation and conflict resolution. Experience in the management of EU projects is considered a plus.
- Experience in management of a team of at least 10 people.
- The successful candidate would be able to manage varying tasks under tight deadlines, manage clients, partners, and teams, as well as to show strong communication skills.
- We expect our staff to work both independently and in close collaboration with others.
- Experience in working in or with cities and regions or industry and businesses directly is an asset.
- Good knowledge of research methods, statistics, economic and business and innovation-related data in the smart city domain would be considered a plus.
- Experience should include direct involvement in business development.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English is essential. Fluency in other European languages, is considered an asset.
While responsibilities will be adapted to the seniority of the position, the main tasks to be performed by the Principal Consultant on Smart Cities include:
- Contribute to forge, implement and promote Technopolis Group strategy around the twin transition at city-level in the EU and national markets
- Lead and manage smart city projects and teams on behalf of Technopolis Group
- Approaches to mobilise local ecosystems and facilitate stakeholder engagement in cities and for city stakeholders
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and partnership building among cities and/or regions
- Contribute to the design of methodological approaches to answer complex city and regional policy questions and anticipate emerging trends also driving by digital technologies
- Generate new business leads, including bid writing in response to calls for tenders/calls for proposals
- Be part of project team and deliver assignments of various scales and complexities
- Perform analytical and empirical work on smart cities
- Draft reports and policy papers targeted to policy-makers in particular, but also stakeholders such as industry and businesses.
- The position involves occasional travelling.
What we offer
- A full time, permanent position
- An attractive salary package with benefits including hospitalisation insurance and a
- pension scheme
- A positive working atmosphere within a team of like-minded professionals in Brussels, while also being part of a larger international Group with multiple opportunities for international cooperation
- Good opportunities for career progression, from both a content perspective (thought leaders, methodological specialists) and in the areas of business development and company leadership
- We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons with a residency and work permit in Belgium.
How to apply
Applications should be sent to email@example.com (reference: PM0623) and
include a cover letter and an Europass-style CV.
Application deadline: 31 July 2023. Early applications are encouraged. Applications will be
assessed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applicants should have the EU citizenship or a valid work permit to apply.
Belgium - Policy consulting
More about this office
About Technopolis Group
Technopolis Group started as a consultancy firm for the evaluation of science, technology and innovation. While evaluation is still at the core of our company, we have over the years built up the know-how to support decision making on a broad range of topics. Our experts provide strategy and foresight, manage networks and provide project management support for even the most complex projects. We are acquainted with a wide range of quantitative methods and deliver advanced data analytics that is ahead of the curve. We evaluate policies, evaluate their impact and communicate them effectively to experts and the broader public. We never settle for out-of-the-box solutions but work with our clients to find the approach that best fits their needs.
We work with decision-makers in different levels and fields, from international institutions, such as the European Commission, the OECD and multilateral development banks, to regional and local authorities. Our clients include universities and R&D centres, network organisations such as business associations, clusters and incubators as well as governments.
More about working at Technopolis Group