We are excited to announce the launch of the second phase of the Intelligent Cities Challenge (ICC). The ICC is one of the biggest urban communities supporting European cities towards the green and digital transition of their local economies, through Local Green Deals. ICC helps cities harness the power of cutting-edge technologies, while improving their economic competitiveness, social resilience and the European citizens’ quality of life. Cities can express their interest to take part of the ICC until 28 April 2023.
The Intelligent Cities Challenge seeks to help EU cities create an impactful strategy and lead the green and digital transition. Cities will:
- Receive tailored guidance and expert support, access to advisory and city peer networks, and capacity building tools
- Identify local strengths and formulate priorities and real needs: conduct performance assessments, define strategic goals and implement roadmaps
- Engage in long-lasting collaborations to co-create and co-design: create or further develop your Local Green Deal, and partake in the Tech4GoodMarketplace
- Learn from and share experiences with local and international peers and mentors
It builds on the success of the Digital Cities Challenge, which helped 41 EU cities to create a strategic vision and roadmaps for digital transformation. During the first phase of ICC a total of 136 cities were supported with the following main achievements:
- 42 cities launched a Local Green Deal
- 35 cities signed the Pact for Skills and other skills initiatives
- 23 cities were selected for the Cities Mission
- 336 Actions were planned by 136 cities
- A total of 1.9 billion EUR funding was earmarked for ICC cities action, hereunder 247 million EUR was leveraged from public funding sources
The second phase of the Challenge will see a revamped approach, building on the work and lessons from the first phase, to generate more impact tailored to cities’ needs. The Expression of Interest for new cities to take part of the ICC is open until 28 April 2023.
The project is implemented by a consortium involving Technopolis Group (lead partner), McKinsey & Company, BCW, KPMG, Capgemini, Arup, Tractebel, AVAESEN, Vox Teneo, OfCores and Arctik.
For more information about the ICC and the Expression of Interest please visit the ICC website.
Adriana Badau, Alessia Iannacci, Owen McColgan, Hannah Bernard, Paresa Markianidou, Maialen Perez, Morten Rasmussen