Permanent / Full-time
Deadline for applications: 02 November 2020
Technopolis UK is looking to recruit a Senior Economist / Consultant to join our UK team. We are expanding our economic consultancy work and intensifying our use of novel data analytics and econometric techniques in almost all areas of our work as we seek to increase the robustness of our impact assessments while also minimising the burden on beneficiaries.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to our quantitative research, leading analytical work packages within policy studies and evaluations, making full use of advances in the state of the art and evolving government guidelines for evidence-based policy evaluation.
Consultancy assignments typically involve teams of 3-5 people carried out over a 6-12 months, but with some smaller projects and some very much larger.
People work on several projects in parallel, possibly in slightly different policy domains, to ensure the cross-fertilisation of experiences and research methods. It is an exciting and intellectually rewarding working environment as well as underpinning public accountability and contributing socially-useful insights to our clients.
Project work may be carried out for clients in the UK, elsewhere in Europe or internationally and will often involve collaboration with specialist consultancies and academic research groups located around the world. Under normal circumstances, there would be plentiful opportunities for travel, however, the international and multi-cultural quality of our project teams remains, even with the current social-distancing restrictions.
In the first instance, the work will revolve around undertaking rigorous economic and quantitative analysis and drafting robust reports and presentations.
The role will also entail briefing and supervising more junior colleagues, while working closely with more senior colleagues on report writing and communicating with clients.There will also be opportunities to contribute to proposal writing and methods development. We would expect the candidate to progress quickly to leading smaller assignments.
In addition to the dynamism of the business and the intellectual challenge of our project work, we offer a number of benefits to staff to support career progression, including training and development opportunities and mentoring by senior colleagues.
Career opportunities are real, with almost the entire senior team being ‘home grown.’
Technopolis is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion within policy evaluation more generally and our current team comprises people from varied backgrounds, and at all levels of seniority. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in all arenas, from recruitment through to senior management and our board. We celebrate and value everyone and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We also understand the importance of work life balance and offer flexible working arrangements, with the infrastructure and processes to make a success of many different configurations.
We are also always pleased to hear from international candidates; however, you must have the right to work in the UK already, either through citizenship or an appropriate work permit.
What are we looking for
We are looking for someone to join our team who has proven experience working within a consulting environment, who can manage smaller project teams, who is curious, judicious and has a strong work ethic and a thirst for knowledge.
More specifically, the ideal candidate will:
- Have at least 3 years’ experience applying quantitative research methods (e.g. Cost Benefit Analysis, Cost Effectiveness Analysis, Econometric and / or Statistical Analysis Modelling) in a consulting environment
- Be highly proficient in the use of mainstream statistical software packages (e.g. MS Excel, Stata, R, SQL) and their application to large datasets
- Be familiar with the HM Treasury’s Green Book guidance on appraisal and evaluation or its equivalent (e.g. the European Commission’s Better Regulation guidelines and toolbox)
- Be able to write well and to a professional standard, in English
- Demonstrate self-motivation, intellectual curiosity and a commitment to excellence
- Have good time-management skills, to ensure work is completed in line with required QA procedures and client timetables
- Have good team-working skills and a confidence in leading people and in being led
- Have a higher degree in a relevant analytical subject and a first degree in economics
The role will involve:
- Carrying out rigorous quantitative analysis as part of our policy evaluations and economic impact assessments
- Managing quantitative work packages and teams within larger projects
- Writing and presenting client reports and other deliverables of a high quality
- Establishing good client relationships to ensure the work delivered meets expectations
- Communicating results and advice to clients and wider stakeholders
- Working with senior colleagues in the preparation of technical proposals
- Contributing to our internal community of practice on quantitative research methods and novel applications of data science
Technopolis is a privacy conscious organisation and your trust is paramount to us. Find out here how we use and protect your data.
What we offer
We offer a competitive salary, a contributory pension, performance-related bonus scheme and several other small benefits, including private healthcare and a cycle-to-work scheme. The company also provides opportunities for its more senior staff to become shareholders, subject to Board approval.
How to apply
To apply, please upload a copy of your CV, together with a covering letter explaining your interest in the specific job, how your skills and experience meet our requirements and why you believe you would be a good addition to the Technopolis team.
For shortlisted candidates the assessment process will comprise two further steps, with each step helping to narrow the field: a short, informal telephone interview to discuss your ambitions; and a final interview via Skype/Zoom. We will also ask for examples of written analysis.
More about this office
About Technopolis Group
Technopolis Group started as a consultancy firm for the evaluation of science, technology and innovation. While evaluation is still at the core of our company, we have over the years built up the know-how to support decision making on a broad range of topics. Our experts provide strategy and foresight, manage networks and provide project management support for even the most complex projects. We are acquainted with a wide range of quantitative methods and deliver advanced data analytics that is ahead of the curve. We evaluate policies, evaluate their impact and communicate them effectively to experts and the broader public. We never settle for out-of-the-box solutions but work with our clients to find the approach that best fits their needs.
We work with decision-makers in different levels and fields, from international institutions, such as the European Commission, the OECD and multilateral development banks, to regional and local authorities. Our clients include universities and R&D centres, network organisations such as business associations, clusters and incubators as well as governments.
More about working at Technopolis Group