The Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (DG RTD) of the European Commission has launched a piloting initiative with the aim to foster innovation cooperation between India and Europe. As part of the European Commission’s Service Facility for International Cooperation in Research and Innovation, Technopolis Group is coordinating the initiative in collaboration with our India-based partners Global Business Inroads (GBI).
Innovation is gaining momentum in India. In particular, the Indian startup community has emerged as the fastest growing base of startups worldwide. Today, India has one of the five largest startup communities in the world.
Against this background, it was agreed at the EU-India Summit held in New Delhi in October 2017 that both should work towards an enhanced cooperation on innovation and technology development aiming at actions strengthening cooperation between European and Indian industries and start-up ecosystems.
Therefore, over the next two years, the European Commission will carry out networking activities for startup incubators and accelerators between Europe and India:
- IDENTIFY & reach out to incubators, accelerators and other relevant stakeholders from Europe and India with a specific interest in each other’s region. Incubators/accelerators will be matched by the team with counterparts focusing on similar thematic areas in the other region, facilitating mutual learning and exchange programmes.
- This way, a long-term network will be created linking the key European and Indian startup ecosystems.
- ORGANISE four networking events for incubators and accelerators which support startups that could benefit from this initiative. Two events will take place in Europe, and two will take place in India. To each event, 20 representatives from incubators and accelerators (10 from each region) will be invited. Other stakeholders such as corporates and VCs are also attending the events.
- MOTIVATE incubators and accelerators to engage in further exchanges between their own staff and staff of their member startups. This includes support to create tailored incubator/accelerator exchange programmes.
- ENCOURAGE startup participation in relevant conferences and events in both regions
The first networking event in Bangalore (8-9 October 2018) brings together the first cohort of the initiative. We have selected 10 incubators from Europe and 10 incubators from India based on a range of selection criteria and expert recommendations. The networking event provides the opportunity to encounter the incubators and accelerators from the other region and to continue working on a plan of action to initiate collaborative activities.Tweet